Sunday, December 2, 2012

Now that I am a NaNoWriMo Winner - Now What

NaNoWriMo 2012 is over. It officially ended November 30 at midnight. What a relief. 30 days of grinding out 50,000 words to create a novel. Not just 50,000 meaningless words, but 50,000 words that had substance and formed some kind of story that needed to be told, by you. Now, it’s not pretty…there are a lot of mistakes. Remember, this was 50,000 words in 30 days and I drove to Minnesota with my wife and son for the Thanksgiving Holiday. That’s right – drove. So I lost a lot of writing time that week. By the way, my daughter did NaNoWriMo also this year so she lost a lot of writing time that week entertaining us. What I am trying to say is there is a lot of cleaning or shall I say revising to do; grammar, punctuation, sentence structure and deleting. I read an article that says the first thing to do in the revision process is to: 1. Write your one-sentence elevator pitch. 2. Write your one-paragraph book jacket blurp, then 3. Print out and reread your book When I looked at the first 3 things to do I was overcome with fear. This on the surface seems harder to me than writing 50,000 words from scratch. I have to be honest, I haven’t tried yet. But I will tomorrow. It may not be that hard at all and I may be overreacting. If anyone has done this and has any helpful tips please pass them on. I am all ears. Or rather all eyes. I will let you know tomorrow how it goes with the first 2 steps.

1 comment: